The events of the past couple weeks have been dragging me down bit by bit, especially as we near the end of my favorite season:
- kind rejections
- an extended meal with the Russian hordes. Hours at a time of food I can’t eat, drinks I can’t drink, and jokes I don’t understand tends to get to me, but yesterday’s get together was harder than usual.
- misuses of the word “limpid”
- the disrespect shown to the em dash in my office
- the delayed launch of Unigo
- The Year of Magical Thinking
- of course, Palinpsests. The country loves it some Sarah, while I am scared to the soles of my feet of this book-banning beauty queen and her effect on national polls.
I am scanning the horizon for mermaids or bright spots, anything that might cheer me up:
- The New Yorker Festival. I’m on Year 5 in the city and I’ve never managed to get to one of these events. Will this be the year?
- Unigo launches tomorrow, 9/9! This is it, folks, the real deal, the website I’ve been helping conjure out of the ether for the past eight months: The next medium-sized thing. Tell your friends.
- “America’s Next Top Model”
Honestly, I can’t think of other specifics. There has to be something to look forward to! Please, Send Help.
ETA: Gawker mocks my pain and friends email me reassurance. Already I feel somewhat better. Thanks, pals and blogs!